Spring cleaning isn’t just about tidying up the spaces you live in. It’s a great time to survey what you can do about you! Your mind, body, and soul can get worn down too. Here are 6 tips to help you clear out and get them ready for the new season!
1. Revitalize Your Hair
Has your hair lost its shine and fullness? Before you book an appointment with your stylist or barber, try this method to strip your hair of buildup and get it looking great again.
- Mix 1/2 cup of vinegar with a quart of warm water.
- Shake the mixture until it’s fully mixed.
- Wash your hair with your regular shampoo and rinse as usual.
- Massage the vinegar solution into your hair and let it sit for a few minutes.
- Rinse thoroughly.
- Apply your normal conditioner and rinse.
2. Brighten Your Teeth
Everyone wants a pearly white smile, and you don’t have to spend hundreds of dollars to get one! To get rid of coffee, cigarette, and wine stains from your teeth, combine 4 teaspoons of baking soda and 2 teaspoons of hydrogen peroxide until they make a paste (baking soda’s grit scrapes the cracks and crevices in your teeth to banish stains, and hydrogen peroxide is used in most teeth whitening products on the market). Use this as your toothpaste and you’ll notice your teeth are glowing in just a few weeks. You can continue this routine indefinitely, but many experts feel you should limit it to twice a week.
3. Detoxify Your Organs
Herbal teas are a great way to help begin to detoxify your internal organs from the damage you’ve done to them. Try these three great ones:
- Ginger Lemon Herbal Tea: This flavorful tea offers a two-in-one blast of goodness. Ginger is an ancient homeopathic remedy used to reportedly rid the liver of toxins and disease, while lemons offer a healthy dose of the antioxidant vitamin C. It’s really easy to make yourself. Simply boil a pot of water, slice up ginger root into very thin pieces, juice a lemon, and pour the boiling water over the ginger in a cup. Allow it to steep for 5 minutes, then add lemon, and even a little honey if you would like to sweeten up the taste.
- Green Tea: Green tea provides the body with catechins, compounds that increase metabolic function to help burn fat. Some research suggests you can burn 35 to 43 percent more fat during the day when you drink 4 to 6 cups of green tea.
- Yogi Detox Tea: This tea helps your liver and kidneys. Yogi detox tea uses organic dandelion to support the liver and juniper berry to promote kidney function. It also includes a traditional Ayurvedic cleansing blend called “trikatu” (ginger, black pepper, and long pepper) that is said to support blood flow.
4. Clear Your Skin
Your body is comprised of about 70 percent water, and for all of your systems to function at their best and your skin to look incredible, you need to stay hydrated.
How much water do you need? Drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water a day. So if you weigh 160 pounds, drink 80 ounces of water. And, if you’re working out strenuously, you should drink an additional 8 ounces of water every 15 minutes. It may sound like a lot, but while water is best, your body can absorb water through other liquids (including through tea, coffee, and coconut water) and through fruits and vegetables.
A few more tips to drink more water:
- Start drinking your water first thing when you wake up. Some experts suggest drinking 16 ounces of water upon waking. Drink another 12 to 16 ounces 30 minutes after you eat breakfast. That’s 28 to 32 oz gone right there!
- If you use a bottle to drink water, use a permanent marker to write times on the measurement lines. Each day, drink down to that line by the time marked.
- When you’re at your desk, set a 20-minute timer on your phone. Every 20 minutes, get up from your chair, stretch or walk around, and then drink 4 ounces of water.
5. Shed Bad Habits
What are your bad habits? Whether they’re fitness and diet-related or not, spring cleaning time is a good time to take inventory of the habits you’re not proud of and ditch ’em. My personal rule for bad habits is if I don’t want to share it with others, then I should stop doing it.
A few tips to help you succeed at clearing out those undesirable habits:
- Start small. Quitting 20 bad habits cold turkey will probably require a major lifestyle change and make you likely to fail. Instead, select 2 or 3 to stop first.
- Reward yourself for your success. Did you make it through a day without eating something bad for you? Reward yourself with a non food treat.
- Don’t beat yourself up for going backward. We’re all imperfect, and we’re all likely to screw up sometimes. Instead of being hard on yourself for falling back into your old ways, try to understand why you did it so you can prevent it from happening as often in the future.
6. Clear Your Mind
We live in an over-stimulating world that’s hard to turn off. But, it’s important that you give your mind a break from time to time as your brain works more efficiently when you have a clear head. One great way to disconnect and clear your mind is to meditate. Researchers have discovered that meditation may help you be less distracted, lower your blood pressure, and reduce stress.
Sounds dreamy, right? All you need is a quiet place, your breath, and your mind. Sit in a comfortable position, close your eyes, and start to inhale slowly. Breathe in for a count of five, hold your breath for a count of five, then release your breath for a count of ten. Focus on thinking about nothing and, as thoughts come up, try your best not to engage with them. Start with just a few minutes a day and work up to as long as you desire. You’ll find that if you practice this, when you find yourself distracted in your daily life, if you focus on your breath, you’ll be able to de-stress and regain your focus more quickly.
Sourced, in part, from Team Beachbody‘s Sarah Stevenson