There are a lot of slaw type salads out there. There’s the usual coleslaw that everyone knows and sees at picnics next to the hot dogs. I usually add spicy spices to my recipe, and I like to cook it down. Delicious. This recipe is more of a real type of salad that includes chicken. This is a cold salad (aside from the cooked chicken) and it is incredibly filling. Pair with a glass of ice-cold water or calorie-free soda, and it’s like you’re outside, in a park, by the lake. Just refreshing.
Chicken, Apple and Pecan Slaw
- 3 ounces chicken breast, boneless, skinless, cooked
- 2 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1/3 cup carrot, grated
- 1/2 cup apples, tart, peeled, sliced
- 1 tablespoon pecans, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons golden raisins
- 2 teaspoons mayonnaise, low-fat
- 2 1/2 teaspoons low-fat buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon white-rice vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon honey
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Cut cooked chicken into bite-sized chunks. Slice green onion.
- In a bowl, toss the chicken, onion, cabbage, carrot, apple, pecans and raisins.
- Whisk together the mayonnaise, buttermilk, vinegar, lemon juice, honey and pepper. Pour over chicken and cabbage mixture. Mix gently.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Enjoy with a calorie free beverage.