I love salads. You can get so creative with them, and really, as long as you’re careful on the dressing, you really don’t have to worry about eating too much of it. This salad I’m posting today is one of my favorites. There’s no cheese in it, but it still fulfills my craving for cheese.
Cherry TOmato with “feta cheese” salad
For the Tofu Feta:
- 7 ounces firm organic tofu, crumbled
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
For the Cherry Tomato Salad:
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 tbsp white balsamic vinegar
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1 cup tofu feta (from above)
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the tofu feta by mixing together the oil, vinegar, water, salt, basil and oregano. Add the tofu crumbles and allow to marinate for at least 6 hours.
- For the salad, in a large bowl mix together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, basil, parsley, salt and pepper. Add the tomatoes and onions and stir to coat.
- Use a slotted spoon and remove 1 cup of the tofu feta from the marinade liquid. Use another spoon to gently press down on the feta to remove any extra liquid. Add to the tomato salad and stir once more to throughly coat all the ingredients.
- This dish is best served at room temperature.
Makes approximately 5 cups.
Serving size 1 cup.
Nutrients per serving: Calories: 126.5, Cal. from Fat: 85, Total Fat: 9.5g, Sat. Fat: 1.5g, Carbs: 7g, Fiber: 2g, Sugars: 4g, Protein: 4g, Sodium: 15mg, Chol: 0mg