I love blueberry muffins. But finding a great-tasting gluten-free muffin recipe is so difficult. And store-bought muffins are oftentimes full of sugar, whether they’re gluten-free or not. This gluten-free blueberry flax muffin recipe is both delicious and healthy. Plus, regarding that nasty sugar – these muffins contain blueberries and cinnamon, as well as flaxseed meal, all known to lower blood sugar or prevent blood sugar spikes.
They were a huge hit at home. And what’s awesome, is that you can easily change it up. You don’t have to add blueberries. Substitute peaches, cherries, or another favorite fruit. A friend of mine forgot to buy her blueberries and made my recipe without them. Still yummy!
Recipe: Gluten-Free Blueberry Flax Muffins
NOTE: Feel free to swap out the gluten-free all-purpose flour with regular all-purpose flour or wheat flour, for added nutrition.
1 1/2 cups gluten-free flour
3/4 cup flaxseed meal
1 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
1 tsp. ground ginger
2 apples, shredded
2 egg whites
3/4 cup nonfat milk
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup blueberries (or other ingredient you desire)
Nonstick muffin tin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix all dry ingredients together, except blueberries (or your other favorite ingredient add-in(s)).
- Combine eggs, milk, and vanilla and beat for 30 seconds.
- Pour liquid ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir and fold in blueberries.
- Fill each muffin tin cup 3/4 of the way full.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes.