I’m a southern girl. I love greasy fried food, especially fried chicken. Since I lost it over some delish healthy chinese food (my orange chicken surprise), I had to give healthy fried chicken a try. The first trick to our alternative fried chicken is in the dredging batter. Instead of using eggs and milk, it uses dijon mustard and Parmesan cheese. Plus, it allows you a little butter, which makes my day!
About dijon: when trying to watch our calorie intake at meals, mustards are such a great go-to condiment. They have virtually no sugar, a handful of carbs, and no fat. The 1/2 tsp Grey Poupon used in this recipe adds 2.5 calories and a ton of flavor you might need to fry, fry, fry to otherwise attain!
Healthy Fried Chicken with Parmesan & Dijon
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
- 1 tablespoon bread crumbs, seasoned
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, fat free
- 1 1/4 teaspoons margarine, canola-based, trans-fat free
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 4 1/4 ounces chicken breast, boneless/skinless, raw
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Mix bread crumbs and cheese and spread out on a plate.
- Melt 1/2 teaspoon of the margarine and combine with mustard in a shallow dish.
- Dip chicken into margarine mixture, then coat with bread crumb mixture. Place in baking dish.
- Dot with remaining spread.
- Baked uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes, turning once, or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Enjoy your healthy fried chicken alternative!
Add a side of peas and carrots (can be canned or frozen) with a little butter and you’ve got yourself a complete healthy meal!