Pancakes baked in the oven to uniquely sizzling perfection, with flavors of apple, butter, warm cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, eggs and sugar. The picture really doesn’t do the taste of these spiced apple pancakes justice. You just have to put your fork through the crispy edges that form while the Granny Smith apples are caramelizing.
Making pancakes with fresh ingredients creates an occasion for family to spend time together in the kitchen, or a playful intimate time between a couple. Set some time aside to inhale the spicy aroma and heat from the oven, then enjoy… and did we mention caramelization?
Note: For the puffiest pancake, use a cast-iron skillet (check out this one). If you don’t have one, choose a heavy 12-inch skillet with a bottom that is at least 10 inches in diameter and has an oven-safe handle.
Baked Spiced Apple Pancakes Recipe
Yields: 8 servings
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 30 min
Oven Temp: 450
2 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 tablespoons water
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 pounds (3 to 4 medium) Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and cut into 8 wedges
3 large eggs
3/4 cup milk
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice and/or 1⁄2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- In 12-inch cast-iron skillet, heat butter, water, and 1/2 cup sugar over medium-high heat to boiling.
- Add apple wedges; cook 12 to 15 minutes or until apples are golden and sugar mixture begins to caramelize, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in blender or food processor with knife blade attached, add in this order:
- milk, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt, flour, remaining 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Blend until batter is smooth.
- When apple mixture in skillet is deep golden, pour batter over apples.
- Place skillet in oven; bake 15 to 17 minutes or until puffed and lightly browned.
- Serve immediately.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)