Are you ready to blow their minds.. by proving something made with ground chicken doesn’t have to be dry and tasteless? These granny smith apple chicken burgers are so moist and flavorful, and the secret doesn’t add any extra fat, cholesterol or spike blood sugar. Curious? You can have them prepared in 15 minutes or less, on the grill and plated in just 10 more. We’ll dish on that never dry, never bland tradecraft and get to the recipe below, after first explaining why we chose granny smith for the co-starring role as we prepared our apple chicken burgers.
That tart Granny Smith apple flavor comes from one of the lower-sugar fruits choked full of healthy phytonutrients and fiber. Shredded apple also contains 84 percent water, which keeps your grilled apple chicken burgers delicious even if you are lulled into a long conversation with Uncle Abe and take them off a few minutes late.
Try them with potato salad or coleslaw dressed with a mustard vinaigrette.
Seasoned Granny Smith Apple Chicken Burgers
Total Time: 25 min
Prep Time: 15 min
Cook Time: 10 min
Yields: 4 servings
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored
- 1 pound(s) ground chicken
- 1/2 cup(s) whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 4 hamburger buns
- 1/4 cup(s) (about 1/2 stalk) finely chopped celery
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) ground black pepper
Note: the below directions are for grilling in your kitchen indoors, but you can easily adapt for your charcoal or gas grill outdoors for even more flavor!
- From each apple, cut 6 thin slices crosswise from center (for a total of 12 apple rings). From remainder, coarsely shred 3/4 cup apples.
- Spray ridged grill pan with nonstick cooking spray; heat pan over medium-high heat until hot.
- In medium bowl, stir shredded apple with poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper until blended.
- Mix chicken and celery with shredded apple and seasonings, just until combined, but do not overmix.
- Shape chicken mixture into four 1/2-inch-thick burgers, handling it as little as possible.
- Place burgers in grill pan; cook 10 to 12 minutes or just until chicken loses its pink color throughout, turning over once.
- Serve your granny smith apple chicken burgers on grilled buns with apple rings and a dollop of whole-berry cranberry sauce, as desired.
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION (per serving)