My First Therapy Appointment

I was nervous, as I don’t really like talking to strangers about stuff, but it ended up going better than expected. I went into his office and there was a huge recliner for me to sit in (well, at least it’s not the cliche couch). He asked a bunch of questions of what happened with the car accident and when the seizures started. Then he asked how the diagnosis came about. He asked how I was feeling, how my husband felt about it, and explained to me that it is a very real reaction to stress. Basically, it was anxiety that sent me over the edge.

I usually can cope with stress very well, so this baffled me. He explained that it was probably the final straw of ‘stress’ among the other stress triggers, and my body couldn’t handle it. That made sense. Life is difficult right now as I’m unemployed, and I think the car accident was just like another, “OMG, we don’t need this right now!” However, he said I should continue the piano playing and exercise and get out more. The bills and all that other stuff will still be there when I get back, but my sanity is more important (unless there’s a pressing deadline, then you know, deep breathing technique to calm down).

I don’t really understand how he was a specialist in PNES, but maybe he’s a specialist in the sort that he knows it exists? Anyway, the appointment went well, and he said he wasn’t going to make this mandatory, but to try his ideas, and if they weren’t working then I should call and make another appointment. Otherwise, that was it. It was strange to hear that, but I understood where he was coming from.

So it wasn’t as scary or horrible as I thought it would be, and I did feel better afterwards, so it did do something. I’m going to try to get back into exercise and keep playing my piano as he suggested. All in all, it was a good visit. Not sure if I’ll be going back though, I guess it depends on me, right?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

eighteen − six =