The Results of a Car Accident

A week ago, my husband and I were in a 3-car car accident. We were not at fault, and no one was seriously injured. I had a mild concussion, but nothing serious. The car suffered worse than we did.

Then the seizures started. I didn’t know what was happening at first. I would get an intense headache and black out. The first time, I guess I had bit my tongue, because it was bleeding. No one witnessed this. I shrugged it off as just a side effect of the concussion, nothing to worry about. Of course, I didn’t know what was happening, so I didn’t worry about it.

The second one came a day later. I was on the couch and blacked out and somehow ended up on the floor. I started to get a little freaked out, because it happened again. I told my husband and we decided to go to the emergency room. There we found out it sounded like seizures. They could only theorize how it started because they didn’t have the capability to do diagnostics on me other than a cat scan. The cat scan showed no bleeding or anything serious that might have resulted from a concussion.

They theorized that it’s very possible that I always had an underlying, undiagnosed seizure disorder, and the car accident triggered it to become active. Another possibility is that before my seizures were unnoticeable because they were more of the spacing out kind rather than the seizure every one thinks of where you flop like a fish, and the car accident triggered something to make it worse.

They prescribed me anti-seizure medicine, Keppra, to help get it under control, and ordered me to see a neurologist immediately. I have a sleep deprivation EEG scheduled for Monday, and my neurologist appointment is also Monday. I’m lucky that my husband already has a neurologist for his neurological condition, and she is a fabulous doctor. He said I will love her and be very comfortable with her as my doctor.

The next day, my husband witnessed what he said was the scariest sight of his life. I had a third seizure. He said that I was unresponsive, because he kept calling my name, and he kept me stable so I wouldn’t fall or hurt myself. It lasted a minute, he said. My eyes were rolled back in my head, and I was stiff as a board but somehow still shaking like a fish.

We of course, let all the doctors know, and they told us that the anti-seizure medicine has to build up in my system, so it may take a week or two before it’s completely under control. So now I’m being cautious, keeping the lights dim, not reading as much, not watching TV as much, little things like that.

I’m still in that stage of being scared of the next one, because I don’t know what’s going on. This is surreal for me, and even though I do not have an official diagnosis yet, I have been doing my research. I had so many questions, would I be a mom? Can I work? Can I do normal activities? This was something I only heard about, but knew nothing about. The Epilepsy Foundation is a great resource, and the information they provide really comforted me. It’s all about educating yourself about what’s going on with your body.

I can’t wait to get my official diagnosis so I can finally move forward and deal with it so I can continue on with my life. Until then, I’m stuck in this rut because I don’t know what to do.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

four × 1 =