If you are looking for a long and healthy life, natural anti-inflammatory foods are the key. In this article you will find a list of anti-inflammatory foods to choose from to help fight against autoimmune and chronic inflammatory disorders, and keep you young.
How Does This Work?
The word inflammation is derived from a Latin word ‘inflammare’ that means ‘on fire’. It is a set of biological processes involving the natural reaction of our body to harmful stimuli, i.e. injuries, infections etc.
Some degree of exposure to these stimuli is inevitable in our daily lives, and our body’s natural defense can fight those harmful elements to some extent on its own.
Inflammation can be acute (short term) or chronic (long term). Acute inflammation is the body’s first aggressive reaction to extrinsic damage from which the body recovers in hours to days, for example insect bite, abrasions, hives etc.
But chronic inflammation happens when the body’s defenses are continuously exposed to harmful stimuli, which renders the body and its defenses weak. Examples of chronic inflammation include tuberculosis, cancer, arthritis, dermatitis, inflammatory bowel diseases and even cardiac concerns.
Sometimes the body’s defense starts working against its own tissues, which leads to a number of diseases widely known as ‘auto immune diseases’. Also it is postulated that inflammation is involved in the ultimate process of aging as well.
Nature has provided some wonderful anti inflammatory foods that can be used to defy age, and also to help fight against autoimmune and chronic inflammatory disorders.
Now on to the good stuff.. Natural Anti-Inflammatory Foods List
These are the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory power sources effective against a number of diseases like acute traumas, injuries, arthritis, cancer, indigestion, acid peptic disease, dementia and many other chronic inflammatory conditions. Examples are:
- Papaya (rich in vitamin C and E and papain, an enzyme that digests proteins)
- Pineapple (contains an enzyme Bromelain with excellent healing properties)
- Blueberries (rich in phyto nutrients)
- Goji berries
This anti inflammatory foods group is another major ally to the anti-inflammatory warfare. Examples include:
- Cruciferous vegetables (rich in phyto nutrients i.e. sulphoraphanes which has anti cancer properties)
- Spinach (source of carotenes, flavonoids, vitamins, potassium, magnesium, tryptophan, calcium, iron and folate)
- Sweet potatoes (contains fiber, vitamin C and B6, beta carotenoids, manganese and carbohydrates)
- Green beans
- Bell peppers
- Bok Choy
- Fennel bulb
- Spring onions
Fish are an excellent source of omega-3 fatty acids. These include most importantly eicosapentaenoic acid and docosahexaenoic acid.
There are numerous benefits of omega-3 include a healthier heart by reducing the chances of heart diseases, preventing and fighting cancer, helping against autoimmune diseases and psychological ailments. All of these benefits result from its excellent anti oxidant and anti inflammatory properties.
Various kinds of cold-water fish like:
- Striped Bass
- Snapper Fish
- Olive oil contains an abundant supply of polyphenols and monounsaturated fats, which reduce inflammation in cardiovascular system including heart and blood vessels, which in turn reduces the risk of atherosclerosis and all the resulting complications. It also helps fight against Rheumatoid arthritis and allergic asthma by the same mechanism.
- Avocado oil is.another, very effective anti-inflammatory agent, which is similar in composition and properties to the Olive oil.
- Green tea is rich in flavonoids, which are a very potent agent in decreasing the incidence of heart diseases and effective against malignancies too.
- However, you shouldn’t forget about water, as this is known as the simplest, cheapest and widely available drink. It has been shown in many studies that water accelerates the body’s metabolism and speeds up the removal of harmful by products of metabolism.
Spices and Herbs
- Chili pepper
Seeds and Nuts
- Sunflower seeds
We are what we eat, so watch what you eat. Choose natural anti-inflammatory foods in your diet to ensure a more happy, healthy, and hopefully disease free, long life!